Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Immigration to the US

          Watching Faces of America has really taught me about the family history's of some very important people. It also has shown me how a lot of famous people actually knew very little about some of their family members. It was really interesting when the host made them turn the page of their family book to a page with pictures of family members who may not have had the oppurtunity to get to the states. The main thing, I think, the show is trying to get across is how it is possible for more recent immigrants, or the families of these immigrants, to be very successful in the United States. I really enjoyed watching the show and will definitely watch it in the future. 
        
     Being a "nation of immigrants" can mean a lot of different things depending on who you would ask but I believe it's a phrase describing how the USA has been shaped by all sorts of cultures because it's a country where large groups of "immigrants" have come to to start anew or for oppurunities. These people have brought not just brought themselves to this country but their cultures and beliefs  I can sort of relate to the people from the film since my parents migrated here when they were in their 20s but it's not like I have any ancestors that came to this country. Oh and my parents story actually is quite boring, the way they tell it is at least, so my family story is a lot less interesting then the ones from the show.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the way described your feelings and your opinion on the movie. I also found it interesting that you would watch the moive again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting - Thank you Amal!

    ReplyDelete